Age of Conan stuff!11

Chit chat
Lateralus
Dr. Gordon Freeman

Post by Lateralus »

Interesting reading.
Doubt ill ever get into it but keep reviews comming :)
Versus
High Warlord
High Warlord

Post by Versus »

Haven't had much time maybe 5 hours or so in total but played a guardian(tank) a demonologist(overpowered wl) and a ranger up to level 7 or so on average :P. Not sure what you can say about balance at these low levels but demonologist can 1 shot things from the start for instance a ranger melees just as well as an guardian in the start :P

Engine felt like a dog at first sight.(it's using an modified unreal 3 engine) but after i clicked default in vid options(although i thought i never changed anythign there) everything was running fine fps wise. About 45 fps in 1920x1200 on a core2duo 3,1ghz with an 7900 512 mb card. Loading times were extreme long though but after an defrag those were gone too. (the game is near 30 gig in size)

The combat system is pretty nifty no autoattack or something that i can see but you got 3 basic directional attacks left/middle/right and special combos that req you to press an directional attack in sequence with the combo buttonto fire them.

Also they got spell/melee queuing up to 1 attack so latency in general not an issue after your first attack. You also got to consider your target and your own defense which is primary done by shields for left/middle/right this goes for pve and pvp i think. Npc's and players can set their shield evenly to left/middle/right or for instance all 3 shields in the middle. When you engage combat in pve you see your target switching shields now and then if you keep attacking on one side hitting the unshielded other side(s) gives way higher dmg then. You dont seem to have shields for your back so i guess pvp gonna be a lot for melee classes to rape in your back.

Havent bothered with pvp yet seems primarly an pvp based game though they gonna open up the entire game(locked tilll level 13 now) soon to test shit but all servers will be full pvp also :P.
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

The combat system is pretty nifty no autoattack or something that i can see but you got 3 basic directional attacks left/middle/right and special combos that req you to press an directional attack in sequence with the combo buttonto fire them.
You will get 5 directional attacks when you hit L40. The new patch rocks btw, a lot less issues.
I ain't leaving without your soul and I am sober this time.
Versus
High Warlord
High Warlord

Post by Versus »

Not sure yet if i have the time or will order it for release at all but monthly cost seem pretty cheap; havent found an faq if direct debit like for wow is possible though and what prices.

This is my usual shop and so far i found the cheapest for the game(in the netherlands) and gamecards less then 10 euro per month for playing it seems.

http://www.gcshop.nl/search.php?q=age+of+conan&x=0&y=0
flame
El Complicatore

Post by flame »

Installed it last night, tried a rogue and a Conqueror so far.
Tried full on settings on a Q6600 with a 8800Gt ultra, had the game hanging on me about 3 times so far. Then it was too late to tweak it.
Combat seemed ok, tho I have not got used to the key swings yet, weird that you can still target but you dont autoattack, which meant I target the NPC behind me while swinging which made me turn everytime (still getting used to it). Had some teleports while fighting, very quickly which made me warp to the left a few inches than back like nothing happened.
Will keep you all informed as I plough thru it.
Complicating is the true path to simplicity.
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

After the patch yesterday I had no problems with freezes/disconnects. So I think that will be/is worked out.
Combat seemed ok, tho I have not got used to the key swings yet, weird that you can still target but you dont autoattack, which meant I target the NPC behind me while swinging which made me turn everytime (still getting used to it).
You can turn autotargetting/autofacing off. I have it on and it autotargets everything I run by. When fighting I find it useful so far but in PvP it might be annoying. Are you in "Beta till L13" or the closed? I am in the latter but can log on to other servers too I think.
flame
El Complicatore

Post by flame »

Havent checked all the options I must say, tried after the raid last night. So went straight in. Definately going to turn off that option tho. Since I quite liked the freestyle swinging. :P
Felt like getting away from polearms was a nightmare when NPCS swing at you. There was no way of dodging back enough. Even with like 2 or 3 jumps back. :P
I was dissapointed with the phasing in and out of the fight due to graphicall glitches tho. I hope that gets fixed.
Had a few problems with what I identified as being the shaders, the character gets some dodgy lines on their body when it was supposed to be some shades. Turned that off immeduiately.
Could not start the game with DX10 on, but I could turn it on after I was in game, tho the disconnects didnt let me play much and that was the end of it for last night.
Well I am using the activation u linked on the previous thread Fenz, and I am not really sure if this is the "only till 13" server.
Got it all patched up tho, what was presented to me at least when I started the game.
Really liked the GFX tbh. The character making bit, looked out of place with some heads not really matching the rest of the body (as in ugly as fcuk, but you could come up with some cool looking ones), but there is plenty of customization. :)
I particularly liked the way characters jump. Tho another graphicall glitch had to do with attacking and character moving, there was a lack of flow since it seemed the character slides while in an attack position (reminded me of WOW characters when sliding after being dead). :)

I will keep the review coming :P
Complicating is the true path to simplicity.
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

DX10 isn't in the game (eventho you can select it) but will be when they release, same for spellweaving etc.

I pre-ordered and also have the 3 day headstart. Will take it easy with levelling tho, don't want to be the first to 80 and then wait for content :) If you order from the funcom shop you can download the game.
TheWarriorKing
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Post by TheWarriorKing »

Toyed for some hours with my barbarian now,it didn't live up to my expectations.
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

TheWarriorKing wrote:Toyed for some hours with my barbarian now,it didn't live up to my expectations.
Wich were?
TheWarriorKing
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Post by TheWarriorKing »

what do you mean? what who?
psythe
General
General

Post by psythe »

he's asking what kind of expectations you had since it didn't live up to it?
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

psythe wrote:he's asking what kind of expectations you had since it didn't live up to it?
QFT
TheWarriorKing
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Post by TheWarriorKing »

I expected it to be a kickass WTF game,not an ok game .

The fighting system sounds good and exciting and all that stuff,but after a while it gets tiring i guess,grinding mobs is always grinding mobs...

Seems violance was toned down too.

It's an ok game imo.
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

Want to hire builders for....Fenztown!1

http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp/con ... nt=issue16